It's the first week of the New Year so let's take a moment to look back at which books were the most popular with Charlotte Mecklenburg Library readers in 2015. We pulled circulation data for our fiction, nonfiction, young adult fiction and children's books.
The most popular book overall was the most popular book of fiction, The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins. That novel circulated more than twice as much as any other book in our collection.
A few things stand out when you look at the lists.
- Fiction rules. The most popular nonfiction book wouldn't even crack the top 15 of the fiction list.
- All of the fiction books were published in 2015 except for All the Light we Cannot see which was published in 2014.
- Half of the top ten nonfiction books were published in 2014.
- American Sniper by Chris Kyle was a very close 11th place on the nonfiction list and it was published in January of 2013.
- Books that were made into films were the big winners on our young adult list.
- Green Eggs and Ham, the most popular children's book, is the oldest book on this list. It was published in 1960.
Time to head to your nearest library and start building the list for 2016.
1) The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins
2) All the Light we Cannot See by Anthony Doerr
3) Gray Mountain by John Grisham
4) The Nightingale by Kristin Hannah
5) Memory Man by David Baldacci
6) A Spool of Blue Thread by Anne Tyler
7) The Stranger by Harlan Coben
8) Go Set a Watchman by Harper Lee
9) Private vegas by James Patterson & Maxine Paetro
10) The Escape by David Baldacci
1) The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up: The Japanese Art of Decluttering and Organizing by Marie Kondo
2) Dead wake : The Last Crossing of the Lusitania by Erik Larson
3) The Wright brothers by David McCullough
4) Yes please by Amy Poehler
5) The Road to Character by David Brooks
6) Killing Patton: The Strange Death of World War II's Most Audacious General by Bill O'Reilly and Martin Dugard
7) The Boys in the Boat: Nine Americans and their Epic Quest for Gold at the 1936 Berlin Olympics by Daniel James Brown
8) Being Mortal: Medicine and What Matters in the End by Atul Gawande
9) Make it Ahead : a Barefoot Contessa Cookbook by Ina Garten
10) Primates of Park Avenue: a Memoir by Wednesday Martin
1) The Fault in Our Stars by John Green
2) Paper Towns by John Green
3) The Maze Runner by James Dashner
4) The Blood of Olympus by Rick Riordan
5) Insurgent by Veronica Roth
6) Allegiant by Veronica Roth
7) Divergent by Veronica Roth
8) The House of Hades by Rick Riordan
9) Looking for Alaska : a novel by by John Green
10) If I Stay by Gayle Forman
1) Green eggs and ham by Dr. Seuss
2) Pete the Cat: Pete at the Beach Created by James Dean
3) Diary of a wimpy kid: The Long Haul by Jeff Kinney
4) Pete the cat : Pete's Big Lunch created by James Dean
5) Big Nate Lives it Up by Lincoln Peirce
6) The Pigeon Needs a Bath! by Mo Willems
7) My New Friend is so Fun! by Mo Willems
8) I'm a Frog! by Mo Willems
9) Pinkalicious: Puptastic! by Victoria Kann
10) Pinkalicious: Tutu-rrific by Victoria Kann
Photo by Flickr user kaitlyn rose