Hurricane Florence is putting quite the damper on a lot of weekend plans and causing chaos already. With Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools announcing the closure of all schools on Sept. 13 and Sept. 14, we want all families to know Charlotte Mecklenburg Library branches are open on Friday to help enrich both children and adults during this time.
Please watch announcements for closings over the weekend. And, as always, the digital branch and on-line resources are available.
Moreover, for all evacuating families, Charlotte Mecklenburg Library is happily waiving any fees or ID requirements for computer use. Additionally, all evacuees have access to our free calendar of programs, and Charlotte Mecklenburg Library is, as always, happy to welcome all evacuees with children to ImaginOn and all other 19 branches to simply have a safe space to spend time with the ones you love most.
But if the rain is just too much for your family, you’re in luck with your Library card! Let Charlotte Mecklenburg Library be your source of free entertainment--all without leaving your couch. Pro tip: charge your devices and download your content before you lose power. Get ready to read, watch, listen and learn!
For your viewing pleasure:
- Watch Sharknado.
- Binge-watch the Great British Baking Show.
- Catch up on renowned Ken Burns documentaries like The Civil War and The National Parks.
- If you missed out on Hamilton tickets, Lin-Manuel Miranda’s documentary is a fair substitute.
- Take a stroll down Sesame Street or Daniel Tiger's Neighborhood.
We’re all ears:
- Use Mango, an audiovisual language learning software, to learn more than 70 languages, including pirate (argh). This is also available as a free app.
- If you’re sick of the sound of the rain, Freegal's ambient music collection offers everything from a Waikiki Sunset to white noise samplers.
- Download a celebrity-narrated audiobook.
Move your mind and body:
- Play interactive games from our children’s resources Tumblebooks and Storyplace.
- Learn a new card trick or chess move.
- Challenge your entire group to solve puzzles and trivia.
- Use all the milk you just purchased in a new brunch recipe.
- Embrace your inner Al Roker with these weather resources.
Boost your career:
- Start holiday planning by making your own cards.
- Learn to code with Lynda.com.
- Explore free tutorials of Microsoft Office 2016.
- Use Universal Class to start on that business plan.
If you and your loved ones need a break from each other, check out all the digital resources available!
Above all, stay safe and take care of each other. We’re here for you.