Take if from those who know: having a library card is one of the smartest decisions you’ll ever make. As a Charlotte Mecklenburg resident, your library card is available and waiting for you. Don’t think getting something for free is reason enough to sign up?
Here are Top Ten reasons why you need to get carded at CML, according to a librarian:
- A library card is more powerful and useful than a credit card. It’s capable of saving you hundreds of dollars each year.
- What other card in your wallet allows you to bring home a podcast kit or WiFi hotspot or to borrow a book for three weeks free of charge?
- Libraries have online resources you can use for free with your card. Want to dive into your family tree? There’s a resource for that. Want to learn some key phrases in Italian before your trip to Italy? There’s a resource for that.
- Libraries aren’t just books anymore. Your card can be used to download music, movies, magazines and more from the comfort of your own couch. And we do have an App for that.
- New to town and looking to make friends? Join a club at the library. From book discussion groups to writing groups to anime fan clubs, there are many opportunities to find your people.
- Did your child just inform you that they have to read a certain book for school? Instead of waiting two days for Amazon to deliver it, instead take a 15-minute drive to the nearest library. Libraries are everywhere. With 20 branch locations in Mecklenburg County, you might even be able to walk to one from your home. Plus, your Charlotte Mecklenburg Library card can be used at all 20 locations or online, regardless of where you signed up.
- You can also take a variety of classes at the library. From learning how to navigate the Internet to polishing up your resume, and from reading the daily newspaper to planning for retirement, you can do it all at your library.
- Have children that need entertaining? The library has a wealth of activities for them as well, from learning how to cook to reading with therapy dogs.
- The library offers free access to the internet and computers, with a card. Unlike a coffee shop, you don’t have to buy anything, either!
- A library card is free. It takes less than five minutes to sign up for one. Either in person or online.