Get a Library Card
Free Library Cards are available to residents of Mecklenburg County. Free Library Cards are also available to those who live outside of Mecklenburg County but are Mecklenburg County property owners.
Before you apply, check to see if you already have a library account.
- If you have lost your card or account number, see our Current Cardholder page.
- All students enrolled in Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools, and some private and charter schools, have free library accounts through our ONE Access program. Please contact your school to see if you are eligible for this access.
- Some municipal and school employees have automatic access to online resources using their employee id number. Partners include Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools employees, Mecklenburg County employees, Johnson C. Smith students and others. Please contact your organization to see if you are eligible for this access.
Use the form below to apply for your library card online. There are different options:
- Virtual Card (instant access)
- Physical Card (requires visiting a branch)
- Children's Card (if you are under 18)
- Non-Resident Card (if you live outside Mecklenburg County - requires secure online payment of $45 fee)
If you would like a Virtual Card, you will need to fill in the form below. You must attach a photo ID and proof that you are a resident or property owner of Mecklenburg County to the form before access is granted. A valid, current state-issued photo ID fulfills the requirement for proof of identity and residency.
If you do not have a valid, current state-issued photo ID, you may attach an out-of-county license that can serve as proof of identification, but proof of current address is still needed. A signed lease or proof of home ownership, a utility bill in your name or another piece of mail addressed to your current Mecklenburg County residence is also acceptable. You will need to combine both your proof of identity and proof of residency into one document before uploading.
Once you have completed the form, you will receive an email with your account information. This is a full-service account that can be used immediately to access all digital materials and resources, to place holds and check out physical items from any branch.
Non-residents of Mecklenburg County can obtain a Charlotte Mecklenburg Library card for an annual fee of $45. This amount is approximately equal to the annual property tax a Mecklenburg County resident pays to support the Library. A non-resident library card entitles you to the full services of the Library at all locations and use of our online resources.
- The $45 non-resident fee is a one-time-per-year charge per household.
- The annual non-resident fee for adults 62 years and older is $35.
- No fee is charged to non-residents who own property in Mecklenburg County.
- No fee is charged to non-residents who are students (of any age) enrolled in any private or public school in Mecklenburg County.
Please call (704) 416-0100 for instructions on how to obtain a non-resident card.